Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Family Aerospace's Shadowing Tips Table of Contents

Originally posted June 26 2010 on SDN

I've only been on SDN a relatively short time, but it seems people don't use the search function. Maybe if I can put together everything I've learned, someone will find it useful. I don't know, but it's worth a try.

As many of you know, medical schools are strongly recommending, or even requiring, physician shadowing. Some of them even specify a minimum amount of hours. I was told a few schools say 40 hours minimum, 60-80 to be competitive so those were the numbers I had in mind. They also like seeing primary care. The most complicated thing I've seen has been one school (I forget the name right now) who wanted to see surgery, primary care, and a medical specialty. What a pain in the butt, right?

I've been very lucky to get a pretty significant amount of shadowing hours (as of Oct '10, 150+ hours with more scheduled over multiple specialities) and I wanted to tell everyone how I was able to get them since I had a horrible start. I also wanted to tell people about methods that simply didn't work for me in the interests of completeness. Like so many things, your mileage may vary.

I will also include some other things I've learned while shadowing and other miscellaneous tips. Since this original entry ended up far, far too long, I’ve decided to spare you all and divide it into separate blog entries so you can go right to whatever you are interested in.

Here are the parts I have so far.

* Where to find physicians to shadow
* How to contact people
* What to do when shadowing

No comments:

Post a Comment